Hey!


Being a Dad compared to being a Mom. The people that know me, know that I was on the fence about being a Dad but everyone who knew me also said, "you would make a great Dad". I mean I worked with kids for years and I have the best Dad there is! So it wasn't a giant leap. When I became a Dad I understood what they were all saying because normally people that are good at something, love what they are doing ( intensely crywriting right now) and I LOVED being a Dad!! I don't know what the heck pre-Dad was thinking. It's the best thing you will do in your life and nothing is close to it. An opinion that I know my Dad shares.

Now being a Mom on the other hand isn't something I will ever do obviously but I am in awe of it. I watched Chantal, who is an amazing Mom! She is very skilled at it, and watching the connection when she breast fed or when she bounced him to sleep or when she just held him was unreal. They looked at eachother and you could almost touch the love between their eyes. She did all the little things for him like make sure he had clean, nice clothes for every occasion, she made sure he was safe in his swing, she held him in a way they were one person, she made sure he was fed on time and she made sure he got to see the world by taking him out and about everyday. She also made sure he traveled. He was on a plane trip twice Calgary and Vancouver. He was in Vancouver twice, Calgary, Seattle, Bellingham, Portland and little small towns along the way. We traveled as a family mostly and along the way we grew. Caius grew, I grew as a Dad, Chantal grew as a mother and we grew together as a family. His Mom knew we needed to do these things. It gave me more appreciation for my Mom having three energetic boys. I am so lucky to have a Mom like her- she is an amazing person and I'm so proud to call her my Mom.

So I'd hate to compare the two, Dad vs Mom. So instead I'll say that Mom is like the roots and the inside of a stem of a tree, while the Dad is like the bark that protects the tree and the children are the branches . All important for a healthy tree, but the Mom is where it all starts. While I know I love Caius as much as Chantal, she has a different more rooted connection as he lived inside her and branched out from her. Knowing that keeps me in awe of mothers as I know that for me being a Dad is the best and most important thing I'll ever do. The same for a mother with sprinkle more of something that is to remarkable for words.
All the being said, I was made to be a Dad and I am so privileged to have had a son like Caius. Yes I marvel at seeing mothers but I was made to be a Dad and I'm proud to say that. I will miss him for the rest of my life. I will always be his Dad and I hope that he enjoyed his time with his Dad just like I know I enjoyed my time with him. I know he enjoyed his time with his mother as I got see it.

"Hey", Caius would say, the only word he knew. In that word he was saying "I love you Dad" or anyone he said "hey" to. So be like Caius today and say "hey" to your Dad and Mom today. They may think you're a little wierd in saying it that way. No matter how wierd they think it is, what you're saying is "I will always love you". And if you're a Dad or Mom say "hey" to your kids for me, a Dad that will always be in love with Caius and being his father.
"Hey" to you all.



Comments

Popular Posts